Mindfulness and Compassion Training
Welcome to Stress Less Kzoo (formerly Stress Management Solutions) provider of cutting edge mindfulness and compassion training.
All our training programs combine best practices from contemplative science and modern neuroscience to support your physical and emotional health and increase your happiness and well-being.
Stress Less Kzoo was founded by Eric Nelson in 2012, to provide science based contemplative practice training to individuals in the greater Kalamazoo area. Eric’s programs are based on over 30 years of experience in the mind-body-spirit health field including 20 years as a program developer at the Fetzer Institute in Kalamazoo.
To learn more about our Programs click on the links below:
MINDFULNESS AND COMPASSION PROGRAM OFFERINGS: (scholarships available for all courses) Course offerings: 1) FREE Mindfulness Skills Class, 3 times a year - next class September 23, 2019 @ Kazoo Books on Parkview Avenue, Kalamazoo 2) Mindful Living 1, Mindful Living 2, & Mindful Living 3 3) Compassionate Living 4) Advanced Mindfulness Practices Saturday Workshops and Retreats offered 3 times a year: 1) Workshop: Introduction to Mindfulness Practice 2) Retreat: Day-long Silent Practice Retreat 3) Workshop: New Year's: Setting Intentions and Priorities
Value of Mindfulness and Compassion Training
Mindfulness and Compassion training have been tested in hundreds of research studies and found to be uniquely effective in improving overall health and well-being by reducing stress and anxiety and improving attention, emotional balance, resilience, self-compassion and relationship harmony. Just like physical exercise, which strengthens the body, mindfulness exercise strengthens mind, emotion and body balance.
Mindfulness is the ability to be attentive to our moment to moment experience in a non-judgmental, non-reactive and kind manner. Instead of unconsciously reacting to life, based on past habits and conditioning, mindfulness gives you the freedom to consciously respond to life from a fresh, creative and compassionate perspective.
When people hear the word compassion, they tend to think of kindness. But scientific studies have found the core of compassion to be courage. Another standard definition of compassion is, a sensitivity to suffering in self and others with a commitment to try to alleviate and prevent it. In Western society the practice of Self-Compassion is especially important given our cultures emphasis on individual achievement which often makes us critical and judgmental of ourselves and is described as our inner bully. Self-Compassion practice counters this self-judgmental tendency by cultivating self-awareness, acceptance and kindness, which together supports improved health, well-being and interpersonal harmony.
Who Practices Mindfulness and Compassion?
Mindfulness and compassion training are commonly taught in such settings as: personal wellness classes, healthcare, psychotherapy, education, business and sports.
Benefits Based on Hundreds of Research Studies
- Lower levels of psychological distress including depression, stress and anxiety
- Improves immune function
- Lower rates of health-related absenteeism and fewer hospital admissions
- Fosters overall sense of well-being and life satisfaction
- Develops stable self-esteem and less dependence on external rewards
- Increases empathy for self and other
- Improves awareness, understanding, and acceptance of emotions and more rapid recovery from bad moods
- Increases collaboration and ability to see other’s point of view
- Develops authentic communication
- Lessens likeliness to react defensively or aggressively when under threat
- Reduces workplace conflict
- Improves attention, performance, and job satisfaction
- Increases capacity to hold and manipulate information
- Lower levels of impulsivity and distraction
Stress Less Kzoo provides Mindfulness and Compassion training to individuals to develop three mindfulness capacities:
- Self-Awareness – unbiased awareness of self
- Self-Regulation – ability to be aware of and regulate emotional response
- Self-Transcendence -positive relationship between self and other that transcends self-focused needs, improves interpersonal relationships and service to society
Courses teach three-core skills:
- Focused Attention Training – Concentration practice using body and breathing awareness
- Open Monitoring Training – Mindfulness practice working with feeling, emotions, thoughts and worldviews
- Emotional Enhancement Training– Kindness and compassion practice
Programs offered in the Kalamazoo area include:
MINDFULNESS AND COMPASSION PROGRAMS OFFERINGS: Course offerings: 1) Mindful Living 1, Mindful Living 2, and Mindful Living 3 2) Compassionate Living 3) Advanced Mindfulness Practices Saturday Retreats offered 3 times a year: 1) Workshop: Introduction to Mindfulness Practice 2) Retreat: Day-long Silent Practice Retreat 3) Workshop: New Year's: Setting Intentions and Priorities
If you have questions feel free to contact Eric Nelson at 269-553-6621 or email StressLessKzoo@gmail.com