Value of Mindfulness & Compassion Training
Research shows Mindfulness and Compassion training improve overall health and well-being by reducing stress and anxiety while increasing attention, emotional balance, resilience, self-compassion and relationship harmony. Just like physical exercise, which strengthens the body, mindfulness exercise strengthens mind, emotion and body balance.
Mindfulness supports present moment attention that is characterized as non-judgmental, non-reactive and kind. Instead of unconsciously reacting to life, based on past habits and conditioning, mindfulness gives you the freedom to consciously respond to life from a fresh, creative and compassionate perspective.
When people hear the word compassion, they tend to think of kindness. But research has found the core of compassion to be courage. The standard definition of compassion is, “a sensitivity to suffering in self and others with a commitment to try to alleviate and prevent it.” (quote by Professor Paul Gilbert). In western society the practice of Self-Compassion is essential. Our culture with its emphasis on individual achievement tends to make us very critical and judgmental of ourselves and is often experienced as a internal mental conversation with our inner bully. Self-Compassion practice counters this self-judgmental tendency by cultivating self-awareness, acceptance and kindness, which together supports improved health, well-being and interpersonal harmony.
Who Practices Mindfulness and Compassion?
Mindfulness and compassion training are commonly taught in such settings as: personal wellness classes, healthcare, psychotherapy, education, business and sports.
Benefits Based on Hundreds of Research Studies
- Lower levels of psychological distress including depression, stress and anxiety
- Improved immune function
- Lower rates of health-related absenteeism and fewer hospital admissions
- Increased sense of well-being and life satisfaction
- Develops stable self-esteem and less dependence on external rewards
- Increases empathy for self and other
- Improves awareness, understanding, and acceptance of emotions and more rapid recovery from bad moods
- Increases collaboration and ability to see other’s point of view
- Develops authentic communication
- Lessens likeliness to react defensively or aggressively when under threat
- Reduces workplace conflict
- Improves attention, performance, and job satisfaction
- Increases capacity to hold and manipulate information
- Lowers impulsivity and distraction
Stress Management Solutions provides Mindfulness and Compassion training to individuals to develop three mindfulness capacities:
- Self-Awareness – unbiased awareness of self
- Self-Regulation – ability to be aware of and regulate emotional response
- Self-Transcendence -positive relationship between self and other that transcends self-focused needs, improves interpersonal relationships and service to society
Courses teach three-core skills:
- Focused Attention Training – Concentration practice using body and breathing awareness
- Open Monitoring Training – Mindfulness practice working with feeling, emotions, thoughts and worldviews
- Emotional Enhancement Training– Kindness and compassion practice
Programs offered in the Kalamazoo area include:
MINDFULNESS AND COMPASSION PROGRAM OFFERINGS: (scholarships available for all courses): 1) Mindful Living Skills 1, and Mindful Living Skills 2 2) Compassionate Living 1 3) Advanced Mindfulness Practices Saturday Workshops and Retreats offered 3 times a year: 1) Workshop: Introduction to Mindfulness Practice 2) Retreat: Saturday Practice Retreats 3) Workshop: New Year's: Setting Intentions and Priorities