First class is Free September 23, 7-9 pm. Course continues for 8-weeks ending November 18, 2019 (includes Saturday retreat October 12, 9:30-4 pm. Fee $225, payment can be made the second week of class on September 30. Scholarships are available, call Eric at 269-553-6621.
Mindfulness Skills 1: Emotional Chaos to Clarity
When life doesn’t go the way we planned or hoped, we sometimes collapse into emotional chaos, which can lead us to make poor decisions and act unwisely. This chain of events can create a great deal of suffering for us. However, it’s possible to relate to the disappointment and difficulty in our lives without stress and anguish. Emotional chaos is the result of reactive mind states. You know all too well what reactive mind states are—anger, anxiety, frustration, irritation, restlessness, worry, insecurity, doubt, obsession, etc.
These reactive mind states are not your fault really. Life is unpredictable and sometimes painful, so of course it generates mental and emotional chaos. But you don’t have to helplessly submit to your mind being tossed around willy-nilly by these inner storms.
There is a way to move from the emotional chaos of the reactive mind to a state of clarity in which you are able to respond to people and situations from a responsive mind state. Your responsive mind state knows what you are about. It allows you to stay grounded in your deepest values even in the face of life’s uncertainty. You experience clarity that allows you to act with wisdom and stay true to what matters most to you. This abiding wisdom yields a sense of ease and direction in life that I call skillful living.
Course Benefits Students have reported:
- You know and act from your core values at all times
- You gain wisdom from both pleasant and unpleasant experiences.
- You can discern between thoughts, words, and actions that cause harm and those that do not, and you act accordingly.
- You know your true nature, the essence of your character, and how to protect it.
- You accept gain and loss equally and derive insight from each.
- You have an inner life in which love can flourish, even if your outer life is filled with challenges.
- You learn to speak only what is true, useful, and timely, even during moments of anger and outrage.
- You are not controlled by your views and opinions or the story of your past, but rather you have a “don’t know” mind that responds wisely to whatever you encounter in life.
- You have the ability to soothe yourself whenever you feel disappointed or overwhelmed by life.
COURSE READING RESOURCES: The Mind Illuminated by John Yates Emotional Chaos to Clarity by Phillip Moffitt
Week 1: Understanding the Mind and Emotions. Reactivity and negativity bias. Establishing a Meditation Practice. Four Phase Meditation Practice
Week 2: Getting to Know Your Essential Self. Mindful walking practice.
Week 3: Living an Intentional Life based on Core Values. Three-step breathing practice.
Week 4: Starting Over When We Forget our Core Values.
Week 5: Letting Go of Expectation
Saturday Retreat – 9:30-3:30 pm
Week 6: Balancing Priorities
Week 7: Starting Your Day with mindful clarity practice. Directly experiencing life, understanding the limits of our interpretative mind.
Week 8: Making Skillful Decisions.
Week 9: Cultivating Loving-Kindness and Compassion.